Thursday, March 11, 2010

King Bidgood's In The Bathtub by Audrey Wood and illustrated by Don Wood

King Bidgood's in the Bathtub by Audrey Wood and illustrated by Don Wood is a book that I really enjoyed. It has received awards, and I think that is well deserved. The plot and illustrations make this book one that I would like to share with my future students.
King Bidgood's in the Bathtub is a book about the page trying to lure the king out of his bathtub. He asks for help from other people, and it seems they have a lot of good ideas. However, the king decides that all of the reasons to get out of the tub can be done without leaving the tub. In the end, the page discovers a way to get the king out of the tub.
First, I need to discuss my love of these illustrations. They are so detailed. I loved them. While all the pictures really interested me, the pictures involving the bathtub to be the most intriguing. I was so amazed by all the small elements that made up the big picture. They pictures also looked very realistic. I could see the emotions on every individuals face.
The story itself was very unique. I had never read anything similar to it, and I found that very refreshing. Although it was a little unusual, it made the book stand out. I would never think to write a book about a king who never wants to leave his bathtub. However, I think many children can relate to the feeling of wanting to stay in the tub. I know when I was younger, I would try to stay in as long as possible (even if the water grew cold).
Last semester, I took Drama in the Classroom. One of my classmates did a story drama lesson that was based on this book. It was highly interactive and a great experience. I am planning to keep the lesson ideas she presented and use them in my future classroom.
I would recommend this book to others. Once again, I am really happy I chose to cover the Wood's for the A/P/I. I have yet to find a book of theirs that I don't like.

No comments:

Post a Comment