Thursday, March 11, 2010

Piggies by Audrey and Don Wood

Piggies by Don and Audrey Wood was a completely new book to me. I am glad that I picked this book off of the shelf to read for A/P/I. It is a little different than the other books I have read by these authors. It is geared to very young children, and I think that it would be a nice book to have available to children. On each hand, there are five little piggies (fingers). They each have a specific characteristic (fat, smart, silly, long, and wee). The illustrations on each page have hands with pigs performing certain actions on the fingertips. It is extremely simple, but I think this was a part of the charm of the book. Once introducing the piggies, Wood described how they feel at times. Sometimes they are hot, cold, clean, dirty, and good. Once this has gone on, the author explains that the piggies sometimes cause some trouble. They dance on toes and hide, so the individual must give all the piggies kisses before going to bed.
Although this book is very simple, it would go over well with young children. However, I think children in grades 2+ would not be very interested in it. The pictures would interest almost everyone, but the story line is geared towards very young children. The pictures are detailed and clearly illustrate what is happening in the text at the time. When the piggies are cold, the illustration has snow. The pigs are decked out in winter wear and are performing winter activities. The opposite is true for when the piggies are hot. When they are dirty, there is dirt everywhere. When the are clean, there are soap bubbles filling the page. Each pig is doing something unique in every picture. I feel as though young children may overlook all of this, but if someone is reading the book with them, it would help to have them pointed out.
I like this book, and I would recommend it to others. However, it is not my favorite book of the Wood's.

No comments:

Post a Comment