Thursday, April 8, 2010

It's Thanksgiving by Jack Prelutsky and illustrated by Marylin Hafner


It's Thanksgiving by Jack Prelutsky and illustrated by Marylin Hafner is a book of poems that are all related to Thanksgiving Day. They do not need to be read in order and all tie in nicely with each other. Some of the poems are about family traditions on Thanksgiving, the first Thanksgiving, the month of November, turkey, food, parade, overeating, football, wishbone, and leftovers. I think all of these are great topics. I think the poem about the first Thanksgiving would be a great tool to use in the classroom in addition to other Thanksgiving related materials.
The style of these poems were easy to understand and had a nice flow. I think that readers of all ages would be successful and enjoy this book. The poems range in mood: from upbeat to more serious. This helps students realize that poetry can be a lot of different things.
The illustrations in this book are similar to the ones in the other Jack Prelutsky holiday book I blogged about. They looked as though they could appear in a newspaper comic as well.
I would recommend this book to others, and I think it others would enjoy it as well! It was fun and entertaining. I was pleasantly surprised because my experience with poetry previously was not as enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment