Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Purple, Green, and Yellow by Robert Munsch and illustrated by Helene Desputeaux

Purple, Green, and Yellow by Robert Munsch and illustrated by Helene Desputeaux was an interesting childrens book. I say "interesting" because I'm not sure how exactly I feel about it. I'll explain why that is shortly.
In this book, Brigid is a little girl who loves coloring with markers. However, her mom was very hesitant to keep getting her markers because she did not want her to color on the walls, floor, or herself. Brigid proves that she can handle the responsibility of regular markers, then scented markers, and then super-indelible-never-come-off-till-you're-dead-and-maybe-even-later markers. Well, after earning the privilege of using those permanent markers, Brigid decides to color all over herself. This is my first issue with this book. After all, she had earned her mothers trust only to abuse it? Not sending the best message to readers. Brigid tries to remove the colors, and she is unable to do so permanently. Problem number two. There is no solution to fix what happened. My last issue is with the ending of the book because she apparently colored on her father, and he finds out as soon as he walks in the rain because the skin colored marker washes off revealing all the permanent markings she had drawn previously on him. Well, that's too bad for her dad. They now have a rainbow family? I just feel as though this ending could have been completely differ, and I wish it was. Maybe some people find this type of unsolved book with a funny twist to be entertaining, but I just found it frustrating.
The illustrations in this book were simple but full of color. After all, with all the coloring Brigid does, there should be lots of colors! I also liked how the first letter in each paragraph was enlarged/bolded/and in a bright color. That little detail was something I really liked.
I was intrigued by the plot of Purple, Green, and Yellow, but I was disappointed with this books ending. Therefore, I don't think I would recommend this book to others unless they like the unsolved problem ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment